Saturday, October 5, 2019

Numbers & Counting Family Storytime



Math is a scary subject for a lot of people which doesn't make it something they want to talk to their young children about. So this week I took the opportunity to have some fun with numbers in storytime and impart some wisdom about the importance of early math. Our books this week were:

  • Stack the Cats by Susie Ghahremani
  • Swallow the Leader by Danna Smith
  • Go Away Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley






My Outline:

  • Song: Shake Your Sillies Out by Raffi
  • Literacy Tip Explain: Interestingly enough early math skills are not only a sign of later math success but also reading. There are two specific abilities that are looked at for evaluating early math skills: ordinality and subitization. These unusual words refer to understanding that a number is a set quantity and being able to see a small quantity and know what the number is without counting. 
  • Letter Activity: I do this every storytime. I pick two letters to focus on usually having to do with the theme, this weeks was N and C. I have the letter printed BIG on a popsicle stick (one upper case and one lower case). We talk about the name of the letter, the sound it makes, what the upper case and lower case look like, I ask for examples for words that start with the letter and then we sing a remixed version of Where is Thumbkin that goes like this:
(put both pictures behind back)
Where is letter N
Where is letter N
Here I am (bring out upper case letter)
Here I am (bring out lower case letter)
How are you today dear
Very well I thank you
Run away (put upper case behind back) 
Run away (put lower case behind back)

Then Repeat with second letter having the same conversations about the name, sound, and words.

  • Song: I Have 10 Little Fingers 
I have 1, I have 2, I have 3 little fingers
I have 4, I have 5, I have 6 little fingers
I have 7, I have 8, I have 9 little fingers
10 little fingers on my hands
They can wiggle, they can wiggle,
they can wiggle in the morning
They can clap, they can clap,
they can clap in the evening
They can tickle, they can tickle,
they can tickle in the moonlight
10 little fingers on my hands

  • Read book one: Stack the Cats 
  • Song: On the Count of Five by Hap Palmer
  • Rhyme: Five Little Monkeys Swinging in a Tree (I should mention here that I always print out the rhymes or new songs on a big 30"x40" foam board so that all the parents can participate.) I used a puppet and some laminated monkeys for this but had the kids and parents do it with me using their hands.
Five little monkeys swinging in a tree,
Teasing Mr. Crocodile “You can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr. Crocodile
As quiet as can be and
SNAPPED that monkey out of the tree
Four little monkeys swinging in a tree…
Three little monkeys swinging in a tree…
Two little monkeys swinging in a tree…
One little monkey swinging in a tree,
Teasing Mr. Crocodile: “You can’t catch me!”
Along comes Mr. Crocodile
As quiet as can be and
SNAPPED that monkey out of the tree
And away swims Mr. Crocodile as full as he can be!

  • Literacy Tip Example: Research has found two simple strategies for helping to build a strong math foundation, the first is providing a spatial education through tasks like block building, and the second is encouraging children to use their fingers to count.
  • Read book two: Swallow the Leader
  • Song: How Many Fingers - Super Simple Songs, one of my favorite Youtube channels for toddlers! Check them out here.
  • Transition Song: Quiet Hands (there are a few versions of this song out there but this is what I use)
My hands upon my head I'll place. 
Upon my shoulders, on my face, 
At my waist and by my side, 
Then behind me they will hide. 
Then I'll raise them way up high, 
And let my fingers fly, fly, fly, 
Then clap, clap, clap them-- 
One - Two -Three! 
Now see how quiet they can be.

  • Read book three: Count the Monkeys 
  • Literacy Tip Empower: Last thoughts on math for today, I know it is easy for us to shrug off math but early math skills are better at predicting future success than early reading skills, so it is super important. A child with strong math skills early on it more likely to thrive academically, read fluently by third grade, and master key algebraic concepts before high school, putting the child on a predictive to pathway to college. (Reimaging School Readiness, Center for Childhood Creativity) 
  • Closing Song: Bean Bag Rock by Georgiana Liccione Stewart
  • Craft: Counting worksheets




No comments:

Post a Comment

Numbers & Counting Family Storytime

Math is a scary subject for a lot of people which doesn't make it something they want to talk to their young children about. So this w...